Apprise Helping You With Medicare Questions
APPRISE is the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for Pennsylvanians on Medicare. The Pennsylvania Department of Aging created APPRISE to help older Pennsylvanians understand their health insurance options under Medicare and make sound decisions about what is best for them.
APPRISE counselors are specially trained staff and volunteers. They can answer your questions about original Medicare, Medicaid, Medigap, Long-term Care Insurance and Preventive Care. These counselors have direct access to State and Federal Medicare information and resources. They can:
- Help you understand your original Medicare benefits by explaining which services are covered under Parts A and B and explain your Medicare Summary Notice.
- Help you make informed choices about Medicare supplemental coverage options, including Medigap and Advantage Plans.
- Help you understand the Medicare appeals process and assist with appeals paperwork.
- Inform you about eligibility for Prescription Drug programs and programs that pay Medicare deductibles, co-payments and Part B premiums.
- Help you to choose a Medicare Part D Prescription Plan.
Counselors provide free counseling and assistance via telephone or personal one-on-one sessions. The APPRISE staff is also available to present educational programs to agencies, clubs and civic groups. In Lackawanna County call (570) 347-5616. Beneficiaries from other counties may call the state hotline 1-800-783-7067 to locate the APPRISE Program in their county.