Christmas Holiday Bureau
The Christmas Holiday Bureau was established in 1950 to provide limited financial assistance to low-income families in Lackawanna County during the Holiday Season. Through gift cards, eligible recipients can purchase clothing, food or toys to help make the holiday season special to them. Donations of $1.00 and above are received from individuals, businesses, organizations, faith-based organizations and schools to help provide assistance to over 3,000 individuals each year. Volunteers play an important role by helping to schedule appointments, interview recipients and process the gift.
- The Christmas Holiday Bureau is 60 years old.
- The 2009 Bureau assisted 1,340 families, which included 3,503 men, women and children in Lackawanna County. The total amount of financial assistance was $61,460, which is all donated funds.
- Volunteers interview applicants for eligibility.
- Gift Cards are presented to families in time for holiday spending on food, clothing or toys.
- We coordinate with Salvation Army to avoid duplication of services.
- Many community organizations give money to the Christmas Holiday Bureau. Individual donations are also received from county residents. Donations range from $1 to $10,000. Each gift is deeply needed and appreciated.
- This year we hope to help approximately 4,000 individuals.